Monday, November 15, 2010

This week had a lot of running around. It all started right where I left off last email... pizza libre.

I ate a bit too much, and subsequently was fighting stomach issues for the better portion of the week. But nothing that kept me inside. I was able to leave to work every day, and by now, thankfully, I`m back to eating all you can eat Argentine steaks. Something I just finished doing before sitting down to write this email.

On Tuesday, the Elders from Chascomus were up at our Pension in La Plata to get ready to travel to capital with us on Wednesday. We did an Intercambio with them in our area, and were lucky enough to have a very successful night. I was placed with Elder Fillmore, a greenie straight out of Burley Idaho. He is a pretty typical big smile missionary, and it was fun to feel the energy that the new kids bring to the table. It always motivates me to be a better missionary. We were able to contact a reference of a member, Augustina who was very willing to talk with us. Her mom had listened to the discussions a few years back, but had passed away a year ago. The missionaries had subsequently disappeared. A lot had changed since then, but the good news is, she is married not just living with her boyfriend so we have a lot of hope she`ll progress.

Wednesday, we traveled up to Banfield, close to Adroguè, about 2 hours in train to the leadership counsel. We were able to discuss goals for the zone, focuses, etc. The most interesting development is that Elder Foster, second counselor in the area presidency, will be coming to tour the mission and give some zone conferences. We were promised that he would be visiting apartments, examining our agendas, area books, and having personal interviews with a select few. The words "If ye are prepared ye shall not fear" came to mind. Even though the idea of a general authority flipping through my area book and making sure my kitchen is clean still is making my blood run a bit cold. We are definitely doing some cleaning.

Thursday we ended up in intercambios yet again. This time I was shipped out to La Cumbre to work with Elder Arario, the district leader. We had some very spiritual lessons, and I got to ride my bike again. The best part was lunch with a family from Peru, who cooked my favorite, Loma Saltado. French fries, rice, and beef. We had a solid day, taught with members, and were able to find some new investigators in the morning.

Unfortunately, the baptism of Ludmila and Alan is going to be postponed until next week. We had a lot to teach them and very little time to teach it. Additionally the times we did go to teach, the kids were gone, over at their dad`s house. So it`s been a bit tricky to find them.

Lino and Cintia continue progressing as best as they can. They are faithful church members, minus the member part. It was good to see Lino in sacrament meeting. He explained to us that a friend wanted him to go fishing, but he knew that the Lord wanted him to be in church, so that`s where he had to be.

The biggest development this week was a woman named Analia. She lives between Tolosa and Ensenada. Mostly here in Tolosa, with her aunt who doesn`t want to know anything about the church. So we have to teach outside. Elder Gonzalez was able to find her on his intercambio Tuesday. We went to the follow up appointment and had felt a strong spirit. We talked about baptism, and she agreed for the end of the month. I would be lying if I didn`t say I was skeptical with regards to the validity of that date, but Sunday she showed up for all three hours of church. We`re very excited to see her progress.

Other than that there`s not much to inform. We`ve been doing a lot of finding, a lot of walking, a lot of clapping. Thankfully these haven`t been in vain and we`ve been fortunate enough to be blessed with some very good progressing investigators. Sunday we had a training class to help members share the gospel. We talked about the importance of references and some fears about sharing the gospel. At the end we divided people up and did practices just like a district meeting. It was wonderful to see the ward catching the spirit of missionary work. We already have seen the fruits in the form of several references.

I conclude with my testimony. I know this church is true. I know that Joseph Smith knelt in a grove of trees and saw God and Jesus Christ. I know that the Savior lives, and that He died for us so that we can repent. I guess these are the same things that I said before the mission, but now I really do know.

No comments:

Post a Comment