Monday, November 15, 2010

Big changes in Argentina. If any of you have been watching the news. It all started on Wednesday when the entire country shut down for a nation-wise census. Everyone indoors. We had to wait for the survey people to come and get our info, even though we aren`t technically Argentines. It was a fun experience. Unfortunately, this week, the President Kristina, suffered the death of her husband, the former president Kirshner. There`s a chance we might be seeing a change of president here. A lot of stuff just stayed closed for the weekend as a result of the combined census/presidential situation. Relatively speaking, things are back to normal now. I never have really picked up on the politics here.

My first full week in Tolosa was filled with success.

We have been teaching a lot, and walking a lot less. Something that is good considering how this area is laid out. If we want to get anywhere, it usually has to be on foot considering that the busses take a considerable long time to stop. It makes planning a lot more difficult. Also it`s difficult on my shoes. Throw in 4-6 cheap inserts for my shoes with my Christmas package if you wouldn`t mind Mom.

I`m not sure how they do it in other places in the world, but here in Argentina, cars are basically unheard of. You can go by taxi, but that`s pretty expensive. The best thing you can do is go by bus, train, or on foot.

I love eating here. I really do. I never realized how much I like to eat food. Me and food. Additionally I eat a lot more than I did before the mission. I just got done eating nearly a pizza and a half in my favorite pizza buffet Pizza libre. Those faithful email followers should be able to identify pizza libre with my first two transfers of the mission. All you can eat delicious Argentine pizzas. Featuring such hits toppings as: eggs, fries and catsup, pineapple, hot dogs and mustard, blue cheese, and many more. My personal favorite is the French fry pizza. But I`ve grown to love egg as well. When I get home I`ll make you an egg pizza. My favorite of all time is the BrasileƱa back in Adrogue. It`s ham and mozzarella cheese with full rings of pineapple on top. But instead of tomato sauce they melt brown sugar on top. I love food. I love food so much.....

Ok, a bit about the area progress.

Lino and his family are still waiting on a divorce. We got a hold of a church lawyer down here that is willing to help. The problem is Lino`s wife Cintia got married in Paraguay. So we have to work things out over there BEFORE we can do anything over here. The family is faithful in the ward. More faithful than some of the most faithful members. They read as a minimum a half hour-hour in the scriptures as a family daily. They asked us recently what their 10 year old can start doing now to prepare for the mission. I love seeing people happy as they live the gospel.

The other family is Sandra and her kids Ludmila and Alan. Both of them were able to come to church on Sunday, so if all goes well we`ll be having the baptism of both kids on Saturday. It has been fun teaching them for the past two weeks. Ludmila gets everything and she loves to read and pray. Alan is a bit more rebellious, but he should still make it for Saturday.

Aside from that we have been working on our finding efforts and have been guided multiple times to people ready to receive the gospel. Last Friday was hands down the best morning of my mission. It was looking like it was going to rain, which is unfortunate because many times rain=no entering in any houses whatsoever. We went to a part of the area that Elders hadn`t been in for a while. Really tranquilo. Lots of field. I could see all the way to Ensenada. Anyways, we were looking for some former investigators when I saw an open door and began doing a contact. It was raining a bit, and after a short conversation the man let us in. He invited his wife to come and participate and we had a brief lesson to find them. They were mostly concerned for their family, as they had lost a son a few years back. We were able to talk a bit about that. They were a very picturesque find. No smoke smell in the house. Married. Golden. We left, and about fifteen minutes later decided to clap a house at the end of the neighborhood. We were again let in. It was a woman who had listened to the missionaries before, and had enjoyed the lessons, but had moved and lost touch with the church. She had two children present who we also found. Another family... also married. THEN about fifteen minutes before lunch I thought we would just go straight to our appointment, but Elder Gonzalez wanted to clap again. So we did. And we found AGAIN. Another woman with her four children. Also married. 9 new investigators + 3 families= Best morning ever...

I`m high on life here in Tolosa. It`s beautiful and the people are wonderful. I`m grateful for the spirit. I know we`re led by it every day as missionaries. The work isn`t possible without it. I know the church is true. I love you all. Thank you for your help, prayers, and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment