Monday, September 21, 2009

Missionary Training Center: Week 1

I would start this email off with some cliche hacking of my language to demonstrate how much I've learned this week, say something like "hola! El Mtc es muy dificil," But I'm not that missionary. And aside from praying and bearing my testimony I'm essentially illiterate in spanish. So there it is. My innovative intro. Much more representative of the missionary I really am.

I used to imagine the romanticized notions of the MTC being destroyed over time. As it turns out, it only takes about five minutes. When mom and dad dropped me off monday morning, I felt like the scene in Empire of the Sun when the little boy gets lost in the crowd (mom hates that scene) and is torn from his moms arms. One minute I was staring at mom and then, as abruptly and unceremoniously as advertised, was thrust to the central building, given keys and my tag, assigned a missionary, dragged to my residence hall, thrown out the door, poked and prodded, checked for my immunizations, handed thousands of miscellaneous slips, each with a distinct and "very important" function, handed 30 pounds of MTC literature, and suddenly shoved out the door squinting in the sunlight, completely lost with an incredible clutter on my hands. Moon-faced, sweating heavily, and with no sense of direction, I was forced to heckle some passing missionaries for instructions. I stumbled into my residence with an armfull of books dropping them instantly, breathing heavily, and scrutinizing over my luggage. I stared blankly at the wall for what seemed like hours exhausted and terrified. I was torn between the desire to take a nap, or to just sit down and cry. It was quite traumatizing. Unfortunately, time forbids me from further detailing the first day. About 30 meetings later, I managed to get some sleep, though the frigid room and the sheet rock bedding proved to be definate obstacles.

The next morning I awoke to a frigid shower. Frigid. 0 hot water. None. Zip. Nada. Jenny lake in a shower head. I've learned since that the back left shower is the only warm one. This being after three days of winter cleansing sessions. For those of you who know me, I don't do cold showers. I don't.

My companion Elder coats is a quiet reclusive fellow, but has a big heart. His humility teaches me a lot. A whole lot. We make a good team. Me being verbose, expressive, and philosophical. Elder Coats simply uses a few words and brings me right down to Earth.

Last night we street contacted in spanish in the TRC (Training Resource Center) Then we had to teach the entire first lesson in english. You never really appreciate how hard that is until you actually sit down and do it. Elder Coats saved me a few times, and we got through it relatively unscathed. I wish I could detail all of the spiritual experiences of the prior days, but it would be simply impossible. Needless to say, it's been an emotional roller coaster.

The first lesson is incredibly difficult to get down. There's just so much. But whenever I tell the Joseph Smith story, the spirit comes and it is incredible. I can't cite it without crying. If there's one thing I've gained a huge testimony of it's the first vision.

Our teacher is Brother Catt, but we call him Hermano Gato. The guy is an LDS Obi Wan Kanobi. All about letting go of our natural perceptions and solely relying on the spirit. The standard process to become a teacher at the Mtc usually takes weeks. But in his case they contacted him in an hour, the fastest in Mtc history according to our branch president. He's a spiritual anomaly, truly powerful in his lessons. I take notes all through his classes.

They really have raised the bar. No more memorized discussions. Just you and the spirit. I've gained a huge testimony of that as well. Relying on God to "mete the words in the hour of need." That's what it's all about. Hours and hours of docrinal and linguistic study, and then giving a lesson totally different than what you thought because the spirit tells you to. It's a little frustrating in a way. But empowering to know the spirit is always with you.

This place is a sanctuary from the storms of evil. The spirit is always here. I can feel it stronger than I ever have.

No comments:

Post a Comment