Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Thanks to family and friends for all the emails this week. Thanks additionally to dad for the very erudite discourse from Sacrament meeting.

You may be wondering why I couldn`t write last week. We usually used the office computers, but unfortunately, I forgot, I am no longer technically an office Elder, even if I am in the same Pension, the same area, teaching the same investigators and going to the same church. It was mildly frustrating, leaving myself and Elder Martindale searching for an internet cafe. When we finally found one close to the pench, there was only 30 minutes of email time left, and only one computer available. I of course, gave the opportunity to my hijo, whose family was undoubtedly more needing of an email update. Elder Martindale had switched areas, trainers, and everything. As for myself, I`m just a washed up Elder two months past the year mark. I assume that you all know that I`m ok if one of my emails falls through the cracks.

Speaking of time, it`s been 14 months now. I`m not usually one to point that out, but this week marks one year living outside of the United States. Wow. That went FAST. Time is relentless.

So about what happened.

About a week and a half ago I was sitting in the offices thinking about the changes in the mission. Pondering the prospects of me being transferred out of the office early. Considering that I was district leader here in Adrogué, and that there was no feasible way in my mind that I could be removed from the office, I declared to Hna Jones that I was "indispensable" at that time in the offices and she didn`t have to worry about me leaving until the transfer date as planned.

A few hours later, we ordered the flight for a trainer in the mission to return home unexpectedly, and suddenly, the situation became different. As I sat on the couch eating Gobstoppers on my P-Day and watching the newly released DVD`s of "The District" from Preach my Gospel, Hna Jones marched in announcing that President had gone into a meeting with the Assistants to decide the fate of the Trainee now left trainer less, Elder Martindale. She pointed a finger at me "and your head is on the chopping block Mr. Indispensable."

I was fully expecting to receive the call looking down the throat of an emergency transfer to Luis Guillon. Sure enough, the President`s voice was on the phone in a matter of minutes. "I`ve got a special assignment for you Elder Jensen. Are you ready to be a trainer?"

"I think so President. When`s it going to happen?" I asked indignantly.

"We`ll send the assistants over tonight with the truck. Your assignment will no longer be the offices, primarily you will be proselyting."

I assumed that I understood the president clearly. I thought I was leaving Adrogue, and I only had an hour or so to say goodbye to all the investigators. I contemplated leaving Adrogué so suddenly, and it hurt to think about. Only after President talked to Elder Boyer was it clarified.

"Wait a minute!" Cried Elder Boyer, "Elder Jensen’s not leaving. I`m leaving!"

And so it was. I was going to be training exactly where I was at in Adrogué. No moving. No rushed goodbyes. Suddenly the clouds lifted.

Roll the clock forward a few hours.

Suddenly the assistants walk into the chapel late, with a bright red head straight out of Price Utah. There was an instant amistad, as I took over the training like a good step father. It was a very strange situation, but Elder Martindale was up to the task. He was clearly starved with the desire to work.

The next morning, it was the nicest day of the year to date in Buenos Aires. A balmy 70 degrees with clear skies. We left, and talked with everything that moved. EVERYTHING. It felt amazing after being in the offices for so long to get out and thrust the old sickle in for a full day. Elder Martindale kept up just fine.

This past week and a half has been full of ups and downs. Ups because we`re working hard. Downs because we have encountered some adversity as always. I know, thankfully, that the Lord is in charge. And we have been led to some elect people as fruits of our finding efforts.

Brief investigator updates as my time is nearly gone.

-Last night Damian announced that he would be moving to Monte Grande. The town over from Adrogué. About the equivalent from Sandy to Draper. He had a severe fight with his father, and now has decided he can`t stand it anymore. It`s a complicated situation. We began teaching, ironically, his parents at the same time, so the family will keep listening to the charlas... hopefully.

-Luis and Veronica were scheduled to be baptized on the 11th of September. Unfortunately, Luis couldn`t make it to church yesterday for some various, legitimate excuses. The bad news is he hasn`t been for over a month now. We`re seriously thinking about postponing that date so that he can be better prepared.

-Enrique the man that we found with Elder Boyer was progressing on fire to baptism. He came to church and everything last Sunday. Due to some complicated situations with his kids, he was forced to do a few odd jobs fixing up their houses. We couldn`t get hold of him all last week, but found him at the end of the night last night. So all is not lost. We have an appointment tonight and we should be able to get hold of him.

-Xavier has disappeared in his exams again, and unfortunately hasn`t been reading or praying as a result of school. We`re seriously considering dropping him if we can`t find him this week.

-Diego and Yesica have been progressing a lot more with reading and praying. They missed church again yesterday which is unfortunate because church is what got them in contact with us in the first place. We`re looking to see some more progression with them this week hoping that they can read and pray.

-A GOOD FIND: We found a man named Rodolfo last week who was clinically depressed after the death of his father 2 years ago. We taught him the plan of salvation, and he loved it! Amazing spirit.

ANOTHER GOOD FIND: We found a man named Sergue from St. Petersburg Russia. He worked on a nuclear submarine during the cold war. Definitely one of the coolest finds of my mission. He said the closing prayer in Russian.

No time to say anything else. The work here is amazing. Thank you for all your support. I`ll try to write a bit more next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment