Thursday, June 3, 2010

God directs the work

This week we were able to enjoy Diana´s baptism. She really was prepared. Not with a perfect knowledge, but with a lot of faith as Alma would say. We were scared as there was fairly heavy rainfall when the baptism started. That meant that no one leaves the house. Not out of laziness, rather when it rains hard here, people physically cannot leave their house. Streets turn into rivers, and unless you have a spare rowboat on hand, transportation is a bit difficult. Diana thankfully showed up and we had a small service with her family and a few members who managed to make it. I´m always impressed by the beautiful symbolism of baptism. It really is all about our willingness to follow the Lord.

I was thinking to myself the morning of the baptism about how comfortable I was in Adrogué. Elder Gibbs was a fearless leader and easy to rely on. We work hard together. In his words we "work like dogs" also our slogan of the transfer. Meant to connote images of hungry hound dogs on the hunt. I was comfortable in my position, in my district, my circumstances at large. Progressing investigators. Baptisms over the next few weeks. I would be lying to you if I said that I wasn´t expecting a curve ball. And a curve ball we got. The morning of the baptism Elder Gibbs received a call from President. I didn´t have to hear the phone to know what President was saying. I just watched Elder Gibbs face change from content to unsettled and fearful. Sure enough, mid-transfer he was going to leave Adrogué.

The situation is hard to explain. Villa Gessel, one of the nicest coastal areas in the mission wanted Elders instead of Hnas. And succumbing to the successive calls of the branch president, President Asay had decided to send Elder Gibbs and one of the assistants who was also in a companionship of three. I would stay with Elder Boyer and assume Elder Gibb´s responsibility in the area. It was quite a turn of events. One which unsettled me immensely. I was preparing myself for Elder Gibbs departure, but on my time, in three more weeks. But the Lord had made the call, and I´ve learned on the mission it rarely comes when we´re prepared.

The next few days passed as a blur. Saying goodbye to our investigators and our members. But for me, it was saying goodbye to Elder Gibbs. More than a leader and a fantastic teacher, Elder Gibbs was a brother. We had suffered through a lot together. And we had seen miracles. I felt like one of the book of Mormon all star companionships. Like Alma and Amulek. Elder Gibbs and Elder Jensen. Needless to say, it presented some formidable problems that he was leaving.

It didn´t help that the next day at church Myra and Macedonio weren´t able to make it. Combined with organizing the area and getting ready to take it over, I wasn´t sure if they would make their baptismal date for this weekend. After sincere prayer and planning, we felt strongly like we should go and visit them on Elder Gibbs last day. Macedonio told us how hard he had tried to make it to church, but with him being paralyzed, it is very hard for him sometimes. We were convinced he had made all physical effort possible to make it to church, and were ready to have his baptism anyway. Things are still up in the air for this Saturday, but please keep Macedonio in your prayers. He needs strength and faith and hope right now. He needs to believe that greater happiness can come into his life than ever before from listening to the Gospel message.

Daniel, the scout obsessed mountain man, has moved back in and resolved things with his family. We´re now able to teach him and his wife and children together. He knows that the church helped him to get back to this point with his family and enjoys coming to the meetings, but just can´t quite get over the fact that he´s already been baptized. He believes it´s true, but needs an extra push to get an actual date out. I fully plan on using the fact that I´m an eagle scout as a means to convince him that baptism really is the right choice right now. Commitments such as "Daniel, baptism will change your life.... Scouts honor," or "Seriously Daniel, do a good turn daily, get baptized," or my personal favorite, "don´t think baptism is essential? Be prepared. Be baptized." I have never seen anyone so obsessed with scouting in my entire life. I fully expect to baptize him and have him bring scouts to the church in Argentina.

Well that´s the general state of the area. I know this gospel is true! I´m not scared to take over the area, I´ve seen the Lord help me through many trials already, and I know that this is His work. Not mine. It´s so comforting knowing that we don´t have to be afraid. God directs the work here.

No comments:

Post a Comment