Monday, March 1, 2010

Earthquake

Things are tough right now.

So Elder Sanchez is from Concepcion Chile, where he lives couldnt possibly be closer to the epicenter of the Earthquake. He hasnt been able to contact anyone. Family, friends, no one. Its very disconcerting.

Which has left us in internet cafes for the past three days all day. Not very much work is happening in Burzaco. Which is justifiable considering the circumstances, but its very difficult to just stand on the sideline and be helpless to help my comp. Probably in some small way Elder Sanchez feels about his family right now.

Theres nothing worse in missionary work than not working. Thats when you get introspective, worried, homesick, frustrated, inadequate, guilty, depressed. Working just solves all the problems. But once the work stops, all of those terrible things come back. Its been a tough weekend in Buenos Aires. Ive resorted to just reading in the BOM, but its almost impossible to concentrate. I get guilty because Im not helping Elder Sanchez, but I dont know what to do. Its a tough situation.

The whole ordeal has made me very grateful for my family and that everyone is safe. Its amazing how fast everything goes into perspective when something like this happens. Family, thats really all there is.

On that note, a special thanks to the Ockeys who wrote me for family night. That letter got to me just in time and made my week. I cant express enough thanks for what a little sacrifice of your time did for me. So thank you.

I really dont know what else to say. Im still not very familiar with the area, and the investigators that we have weve only visited once or twice. Very few actually have the potential to progress and be baptized. Ill be able to give more specific backup of the people and their circumstance later, but as of now, the whitewash is going to take its toll on my emails.

So thank you all for your goodness and kindness. Im greatful your all in safe places in the world. I know the Lord loves us, and has a plan for us. Even though we cant see the reason for the bad things that happen, I know He lives, and always knows better than we do what we need. I love being able to bring this message of peace to a world that really needs it right now. Im sorry about this email, with the earthquake and all the confusion everything here is upside down as well. Ill be sure to write more next week.

Les amo

Elder Jensen

1 comment:

  1. E' Jensen,

    You probably don't know who I am, but maybe you do. I happened on this blog while I was doing a quick search for "Hermano Marchoni" while I was telling some friends a mission story. And lo and behold, I found this. I've been in Ensenada as well as Avellaneda. You should know that Avellaneda was the first area to reach all 10 of the standards of excellence back when President Asay first established them. You are absolutely right that there is hope for every area! There is no such thing as a "dead" area, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You've got a good spirit and heart for the work. I've enjoyed reading your stories and remembering my dear friends there in B.S.A.S. I pray for the mission often, and that means that I pray for you! Keep your head up, and the Lord will show you his powerful hand in working miracles through you!

    Lo amo,

    The former E' Brian Richardson (BSAS Sur. 2005-2007)

    ReplyDelete