Monday, January 11, 2010

Una Obra Maravillosa

First of all I am especially grateful to be out here in Buenos Aires, which for those of you who no habla Castellano, significa "good air." Which stands in striking contrast to the especially bad air that is plaguing my hometown right now.

It´s been quite hot here. Unreasonably hot. So hot I can feel my bones melting inside my body as we walk from house to house. And other than a small fan in our Pension there is no way to cool down. So I just think about Utah every time I´m about to complain and it cools me down.

Inversions, frozen snow, subzero temperatures.

Yup, it´s good to be in Buenos Aires this time of year. Of course, I´ll be singing a different tune in 6 months when the tables turn. Until then though.... disfrutenlo....

Have I talked about the miracles I´ve seen in Avellaneda? They happen every day now. Whether it´s finding someone on the street, being let into a house, or a random person showing up in church asking what they have to do to become a Mormon.

I have been especially impressed this week by a quote by Henry B. Eyring a few years back that goes something like "when we are on the Lord´s errand, he provides a way to get the job done."

Things that may seem impossible to us are never impossible to God. And out of the many discouraging trials of Avellaneda, I have realized that this is not my work, nor is it Elder Valerin´s. We are in the service of God. His work and His glory.

I have also been reading a great deal in the first book of Nephi, about their journeying in the wilderness. I find it especially interesting that the Lord allows them to suffer as consequence of sin or disobedience. But other times the Lord clearly states that they had trials to know that the Lord God is their guide.

When I was sent here to Avellaneda, I was indeed wandering through a wilderness. At first, it was easy to get discouraged by my circumstance. But fortunately, the Lord is running this vineyard, not me. This is a marvelous work and a wonder, and this past week my heart has been full of the goodness of God, and His willingness to impart of His blessings on His children.

Sylvina, the investigator that I talked about two weeks ago who we found from a reference, has now received all of the first two lessons and is very very faithful in her reading assignments. She now is trying to get her kids to listen, and we teach all of them together. 1 investigator has now turned into a family.

As we taught Sylvina the plan of salvation, we talked about eternal marriage. I showed her the pictures I have of Scott, and Jennifer´s wedding. She wanted to know what the beautiful building in the background was. We explained to her that that was the temple of God, and what we did there lasted us for all eternity. She expressed to us her sorrow that her husband had already passed away, and she didn´t have the opportunity to marry him in this life, they only lived together. We had the privilege of explaining a little about vicarious ordinances, that if she lived by the Gospel, she could enter the House of the Lord, and still be married to her husband for time and all eternity.

As we taught the pre-mortal life, and the counsel of heaven, we didn´t have to repeat it. She just looked at it and said "Aaaah, now I understand." Jeffrey R. Holland tells us the reason it is easy to teach the plan of salvation is because people have already heard it before. With Sylvina, we weren´t teaching the plan, we were just reminding her. She is one of the elect. As I said before, we have now begun to teach the family.

We contacted another reference this week and ended up with a woman named Rosio. She expressed her doubts about the catholic church, how worshipping saints was so clearly contrary to what it says in the bible. We were able to briefly explain the apostasy to her, as well as the restoration. As we got ready to leave, she expressed how different and peaceful she felt while talking to us. We were able to assure her that those feelings came from the Holy Ghost. As we left, we thanked the members around the corner for their reference and told them how wonderfully our lesson had gone. A new excitement for missionary work entered their eyes, and they anxiously wanted to accompany us to our next appointment.

One last experience.

As we arrived at church the next day, we were disappointed to see that our regular investigators were not able to attend because of the vacation season. At the end of sacrament meeting, Elder Valerin and I walked out with our heads hung. Suddenly a woman walked up to us as we stood in the door to our gospel principles class.

"Hi I´m new here, I live next door to one of your members and want to become part of the Mormon Church."

....

Both of us were slack jawed at first, then gaining our composure smiled politely and informed her it was "very possible" to become a member of the Mormon church, and she had come to the right place. She was about halfway crazy I think. Somewhat like Elder Ockey´s experience. I couldn´t tell. There´s never a free baptism.

So Avellaneda. The wilderness that is now bearing some very precious fruit. I, like Nephi of old, can now testify that the Lord has stood with me in my afflictions. He has prepared a way, even though it is still difficult, through faithfulness and diligence it is not impossible. I know now more than ever that this is not my work. If it was, I would have great cause to be afraid. But, I am now on the Lord´s errand. And when we are on the Lord´s errand, he provides a way to get the job done.

I love missionary work. I love this area. I love the opportunities I have here. I love the happiness this message brings to the lives of these people who need it so badly.

Thank you for your support and love. I found a correo (post office) this week, so I should be sending some letters off very soon. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment